Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Lucky Star"


I've been slacking terribly in my movie watching again but tonight I stepped away from the art table and treated myself to "Lucky Star" a simple and beautiful silent film directed by Frank Borzage at Fox studio in 1929 and starring frequent co-stars Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell.

I dont like "spoilers" myself, so I wont go into the story but I will say this was really a treat, a beautifully realized production on every level and I recommend it very highly to silent film lovers!

Some wonderful touches of humor throughout the picture, like this scene when adorable but filthy little hayseed Janet Gaynor FINALLY gets her hair washed but good!

Janet Gaynor, a fantastic actress, silent or sound.

They did indeed have faces then...

5 comments:

Seleus said...

I'm intrigue. I must watch this. I love Janet. Her look and expressions here are so touching. Thanks for discovering it!

Francy said...

This looks absolutely wonderful. I will have to look for it. And, I agree, Janet is fantastic in these shots!

Unca Jeffy said...

and WHAT a face.

Margaret Benbow said...

I'm so pleased to hear about another movie featuring Gaynor and Farrell, and will look for it NOW. Seventh Heaven is one of my alltime favorites, unforgettably moving...for me, they will always be Chico and Diane.

Artman2112 said...

i hope any of you who view this will let me know what you thought of it. as you can tell i was really taken with the film!

Margaret i have yet to see 7th Heaven but will very soon i assure you!