Monday, January 21, 2013

New Artwork...

A revised version of a portrait of Angelina Jolie I did back in 2005. I have always liked her pose and expression and liked the overall shape of her hat, but as time went on I realized my original execution fell far short of the pictures potential and was worth a re-doing at some point when I felt confident enough to improve on it. Never too far from my mind was the work of the Pre-Raphaelite masters of the Victorian era, especially John Millais, William Holman Hunt and Arthur Hughes and also the classicists Fredrick Leighton and Herbert Draper. I studied their work intensely while working on this picture, especially Hughes' "The Long Engagement" and Draper's "Potpourri". Even to attempt working in the style of the Pre-Raphaelites means much labor time and tho I don't have an exact figure, I know i spent well over 100 hours on this, more than 12 hours alone just on the bow.

Tech stuff: all colored pencil on 18" x 20" museum board. I used 88 different pencils from about 6 different brands and lots of solvent.

Below is the 2005 version.


joe bloke said...

very nice, mate. indeed.

Artman2112 said...

thanks Joe! chuffed as nuts to see you're still around, old thing!