Saturday, December 5, 2009

Eleanor Parker... Part V


More of my Eleanor Parker tribute...

Eleanor looking every bit the glamorous movie star here! I just aquired this vintage autographed still a few weeks ago off ebay. Total price with shipping was less than $8!

Eleanor striking a proud stance in one of her best films of the 1950's "The Naked Jungle". Her co- star was Charlton Heston and the 2 stars really clicked onscreen. Eleanor plays a mail-order bride traveling from New Orleans to her new husband's South American plantation. In his own book "Charlton Heston's Hollywood" he called this one of his best early films.

At one point Heston says - "Frankly, you're not what I expected"

"am I worse or better?"

"Just . . . more"

Another scene still from "The Naked Jungle". The tension between the 2 main characters in the beginning of the film is expertly played by the 2 stars and the love story is very well-written and surprisingly "adult" for its time.

A vintage Lobby Card I have. Heston had already appeared in many films including the best picture winner of 1952 "The Greatest Show on Earth" but Eleanor was still top billed on this film! Ironically she was not initially thought of for the role. Director Byron Haskin had wanted a gamine like Leslie Caron who he thought would be more believable as a mail-order bride, but when the more Elegant Parker became available that all changed. In his own words "There is some difference between Eleanor Parker and Leslie Caron!"

Another Lobby Card from my collection. Eleanor once again looked positively ravishing in technicolor! The first time I saw this film I was quite taken aback at how good it was AND how incredible she looked! I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good adventure/romance film with some very cool special effects and all in blazing color!

This vintage postcard didnt scan too well. I just got this the other day. I have a few other Warner Bros contract star postcards from this same series so I'm very happy to add this one to the collection!

4 comments:

A said...

Fantastic tribute

Margaret Benbow said...

Your comments truly do justice to this great film. I recently watched it again and enjoyed every frame. A rousing story, and the Heston/Parker scenes have real sizzle.

Artman2112 said...

ty Amanda!

Margaret - i recently viewed Naked Jungle again too and never enjoyed it more!

Unknown said...

My mom is Eleanor Parker. I am Richard Parker. I live in Texas with my wife and son. you can reach me at parkercrew@hotmail.com